Friday, December 16, 2011

Mountain Winter

As the colder air moves in and the winds pick up here on Melrose Mountain, stripping the remaining Fall leaves from the trees and turning the mountains from bright orange to a dull grey, we're beginning to prepare ourselves for winter in the mountains!


My big backyard!
 Being an avid snowboarder and a lover of the cold air and snow, I celebrate this time of year.  Although Fall is my most favored season, Winter comes in a very close second.
I love the festive colors that we display in winter decor.  Blues, silvers, whites...  They are so very calming and peaceful!

I guess the only thing that I have not enjoyed about wintertime arriving is that now I can see a few houses on the opposing mountainsides...  During the summer months, when I first moved in to my house on Melrose Mountain, I could not see any neighbors!  I loved that.  I figure, if you're gonna live in the mountains, why in the world would you wanna see anything else but the mountains in front of you and all around you?!?  But, as the leaves fell and the mountains became more bare, I've seen rock outcroppings, houses, and other features that remind me that I'm not all alone here.  I guess my biggest peave has been the street lights that some home owners have out in their driveways.  They are the ugliest sight, and quite obtrusive, if you ask me.  Again, why in the world would you live in such a beautiful place and then go and muck up the views for everyone else by sticking a bright light outside?  I mean, most nights, we have the moonlight shining on the mountains, and you can see so much outside, in a beautiful bluish-white hue!
Must be that northeastern influence, imposing itself on we southerners who have enjoyed a peaceful life with one another, and not being completely freaked out when waved at by our neighbors and passing motorists.  In my experience, northeasterners tend to be afraid of everything around them, especially other human beings, and so they completely deface the mountains by clearing off the trees and sticking obtrusive, ugly street lights up on their property, and keep all their lights on, inside AND outside the house, ALL NIGHT LONG.  Uhhhggghhh...
I thought that's why they moved here in the first place - for a better quality of life - to actually be able to live in peace and harmony, and not be so freaked out by their surroundings.  Cut the damned lights out, people!

On a more positive note, I am still living in peace and harmony on my mountain, forgetting about all the stress and anxiety that exists in the piedmonts and flat lands below.  That is why I moved here.  That is why my friends are hard pressed to get me to come back to the city to party and visit with them.  The mountains are what keep me happy and sane, and completely relaxed every morning and every night.  I am finally becoming more like one with my environment, and that has made such a difference in me.

Pull up a rocker & join me!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Appreciated! =8^D