Wednesday, November 2, 2011

FALL 2011 in Tryon, Gem of The First Peaks

FALL 2011 has taken off in spectacular fashion!

The Western North Carolina (WNC) hills have been alive with color during the month of October, beginning in the highest elevations during the first week. The mid elevations' color began around halfway through the second week of October, and the lower elevations are still holding on to a lot of greens, even now in the first week of November!

Last weekend, in lieu of going out on a bike ride, I spent my Saturday hanging out in my new hometown of Tryon, NC, taking some personal pictures of the town in fall celebration.  The leaves are at their peak right now, so I couldn't have picked a better day.  High temp was around 60°, the skies were clear blue, and it was the epitome of a perfect fall day for any mountain gem!  I had the pleasure of a great sunrise to start the day!  The First Peaks were pinkish-orange...

This is the morning view from my deck
Big Warrior, Little Warrior, and Cedar Mountain (R to L)
 I hopped on my motorcycle and rode into town on a mission to capture FALL 2011 for Tryon.  With only my DroidX at my side to take pictures with, I was able to maneuver easily on foot all over town.

Looking north at Tryon Peak and White Oak Mountain (L to R)
 With the Saluda Grade RR underfoot, the tracks provided me with unimpeded access to some great shots of town!

Round Mountain, Big Warrior and Little Warrior Mountains (R to L)
Following the tracks and looking back I caught a nice shot of the old depot, which is now the Tryon Garden Club...

Looking east at Old Depot & Tryon Movie Theatre
Across from the old depot I can look down on the bustling gem of a town!  The colors of the buildings really compliment the surrounding foliage.
Looking north into town with Round Mountain in the background
This mountain gem pictorial would not be complete without "Morris," the wooden toy horse, who is the symbol for Tryon and actually holds a place in our Town Seal!

Morris, built by Tryon Toy Makers in 1928 and the mascot for the Town of Tryon
 Interesting point of fact is that Morris has some ties to The Biltmore Estate.  Founders of Tryon Toy Makers, Eleanor Vance and Charlotte Yale, apparently made a positive impression on George Vanderbilt's wife, Edith Stuyvesant Vanderbilt back in 1901.  Read the story here: NC Museum of History.

History of The Tryon Horse, "Morris"
Just below the old depot is access to Tryon's eclectic offering of shopping and dining.  The Town Of Tryon Clocktower was constructed in 2005 by the Rotary Club of Tryon and has a miniature version of Morris set atop to watch over the town!

The Town Of Tryon Clocktower with Morris atop in copper & bronze
Across the street from the Clocktower is Elmo's Pub.  They did a great job with Fall decor this year!  Note the hand painted fire hydrant who stands watch out front.  Looks like a toy nutcracker...  Or is it a fireman?  Or could it be both?

Elmo's Pub... The watering hole for the locals & many traveling visitors
 Heading down North Trade Street, Tryon's main drag, I headed for Tryon Town Hall to snag some GORGEOUS shots of the Orange Carolina Maples standing out front!

The brown brick building in the center background is my target...
 These are my favorite trees.  I look at them year-round, dreaming of the color they will display every fall.  I have quite a love affair with maples...

Heading north on Hwy 176 toward Tryon Peak & Lynn, NC on Hwy 108
 I could just lay on the sidewalk in front of Town Hall and look up at this all afternoon...

Each lightpole in Town is adorned with a nice "Welcome To Tryon" flag
 The blend of color, from top to bottom, captivates me.  From green to yellow, then gold to orange, and finally red, the warm fall sun shines through and casts brilliant fluorescence down upon my face.

Western perspective view, with Town Hall in the background; Orange Maples
 The amazing yellows and greens of the Eastern Tulip Poplar also do their part to pierce my soul.  You can see Tryon Peak towering in the background, its commanding presence over the town and valley farms outside of town.


One of the last lightpoles in town, showing the way to Columbus, NC on Hwy 176
  Heading back toward my mountain home, I captured a few good shots of what I get to see as I commute each day to my job in Spartanburg, SC.  I live on Melrose Mountain in the wooded seclusion of Gillette Woods.  My road is called Hogback Mountain Rd and follows the ridgeline of Melrose, Rocky Spur, and Hogback Mountains.  These last few shots were taken in the Melrose Ave neighborhood which sits slightly above the town and is comprised mostly of old homes, B&B's and cool rock clad churches.

Chestnut Street, looking north down at town and Tryon Peak in background.
This is what I see every morning as I ride to work!
 A pretty fall display of yellow mums and pumpkins, bordered by the peaceful greenery of rhododendron and native rock work that is characteristic of WNC craftsmanship.  This is the front entrance of First Baptist Church of Tryon, situated on a hilltop overlooking downtown on the corner of Pacolet Street and Walnut Street.

First Baptist Church of Tryon on Pacolet Street
From the back of the old book store formerly known as "The Book Shelf," I caught a nice view of Miller Mountain and the Saluda Grade RR tracks above town.

Miller Mountain in the background, framed by bittersweet branches & railroad tracks
 From the previous view on Chestnut Street, I turn right and head up Melrose Avenue.  I can see the round peak of Melrose Mountain between the corridor of tall oaks, dogwoods, poplars and maples, all showing off fall brilliance!  This ride home brings a breath of air to my lungs and a complete calm over my soul.

Melrose Ave, surrounded by historic homes and churches, with Melrose Mtn in background
 Some of the pretty yards of green fescue grass are lined with ironwork fencing, sitting only high enough to nicely border the property and add to the quaint feel of a true mountain gem.  Note the beautiful yellow leaves of the maple and the crimson red leaves of the dogwood in the foreground to the left, and the bright orange maple and its neighboring red oak tree in the background at the corner.  I turn right onto Laurel Ave, just ahead at the orange maple, then on to Hogback Mountain Road.


Melrose Ave with wrought iron fencing and fall glory abound
 Rounding the right turn onto Laurel Ave, I hug very closely to a rock wall that borders a large estate on the right.  I always fix my eyes to the left so I can get the view of the orange maple trees and let them burn into my thoughts.  The fall colors excite me to no end!

Corner of Melrose & Laurel Ave, orange maple & red oak bordered by boxwood hedge rows
 As I climb the snaky curves of Hogback Mountain Road, I have one final stretch along the main ridge of Melrose and Rocky Spur Mountain where there is an explosion of red and yellow from the dogwood, redbud, oak and sourwood trees.  This next shot is taken on that stretch of road by a redbud tree turned yellow, ahead of the intersection of Carolina Drive and Hogback Mountain Road.

Hogback Mountain Road - ½ mile to home along the ridge!
Finally, I had to include another favorite orange maple tree at the corner of Hogback and Carolina.  Coming down the straight stretch (ahead of the previous photo) is this corner, which is a tight, sweeping left hand curve that heads into a steeper section of very twisty road!  After this point is where I can really get leaned over in the curves on my bike, and take in glorious views of the The First Peaks of WNC on my left!


As we go from October to November, I am sadden a little bit, because it won't be long before the bright colorful leaves will wilt and turn brown, falling to the ground, taking the WNC peaks from a pinkish-blue to a whitish-gray hue.  But with the end of one season comes another, and in our beautiful WNC hills, we are fortunate to receive four very glorious seasons!  This post will do its part to keep my heart in Fall 2011, but I am excited to look ahead to Thanksgiving and Christmas, and all the beautiful changes in scenery that Winter 2011 will bring with it!

Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. YAY! You're back! Your pictures brightened my entire day. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candice Lanford11/3/11, 9:57 PM

    Awesome pics! I would love to take some at some of those spots!

    ReplyDelete

Comments Appreciated! =8^D