Friday, September 2, 2011

Motocross Racing - most physically demanding sport?


I've read statistics that Motocross is the #1 most physically demanding sport in the world, with which I agree.  Some have said that soccer is most physically demanding.  I suppose that everything polled is based on opinion of each individual, and their prior experience with a particular sport.
I can say that, for me, I believe it is.  I've played several different sports for several years each, and Motocross was definitely the most thrilling, exhilarating, and the toughest on the body.  I've played baseball, football, soccer, golf, wrestling, track running, trail running, rock climbing, weight lifting, water skiing, Jet Skiing, snow skiing, snowboarding, and mountain biking.  Each of these sports present their own challenges on the mind, the spirit, and the body.  But in competitions where there is no break, no rest period, no bench seats, and "it ain't over til it's over," those are the most physically demanding.


In Motocross, a rider will enter a race that consists of 2 or 3 "motos," or qualifier races.  Each moto runs between 20 minutes and 45 minutes, depending on the event / location / or track.  What sets this sport apart from most all others is, the bike is heavy, the track surface is gnarly, you are constantly pulling in the clutch lever, brake lever, changing gears, twisting the throttle, bouncing around, jumping through the air, pulling the bike sideways through turns, and this uses EVERY muscle in your body - including your brain - PERIOD.


All this is happening for 20 - 45 straight minutes - NONSTOP.  No rest break.  No bench time.  No pit stops.  If you've never done anything like it, then just imagine it.  Your lungs get winded, your head starts pounding, your forearm muscles start hurting, then cramping (from vibration and pulling in the clutch 100's of times per race), your biceps, tricpes, lats, chest, quadraceps, shins, and calves continually BURN for half an hour or more...  Then try holding on to a 225 pound dirt bike and manipulating its every move.  That's tough, no matter WHO you are.


In order to really excel in the competition, you have to TRAIN your butt off, to prepare your mind and body and get in the greatest shape ever by working out - DAILY.  Weight lifting, swimming, bicycling, running, and manual exercise (push-ups, pull-ups, lunges, etc...).  And the workout, in itself, consists of 7 to 10 other sports - combined!

I'd say that the guys and girls who are the most successful in the sport are the ones who train the hardest and have the most natural talent.  Prodigies, if you will.  They are the competitors who have figured out how to exert the least amount of energy for the longest amount of time, and find the areas of the track to move the fastest through, over their competition.  This requires amazing depth perception, lightening-fast reflexes to react to split-second changes and movements, and mental integrity that is unmatched.


You could never fully understand these dynamics unless you have experienced them for yourself.  But take it from me; I've been riding motorcycles for 32 years now.  I am an expert in the field of motorcycling!

3 comments:

  1. TOTALLY TRUE

    ReplyDelete
  2. great explanation I completely agree

    ReplyDelete
  3. I promise you that I've never reviewed a restaurant on Yelp, fought with someone on YouTube, re-Tweeted a pic of a hot chic with her mammary glands busting out the seams, shared a link or anything of the sort, I'm simply too lazy or I don't care enough. BUT, after finding myself on your page whenever I have free time and eagerly awaiting a new blog posting I feel compelled to breakout of my digital laziness just to say thank you. I appreciate the wealth of information that you're sharing, in fact the Sniper community appreciates it. Whether it's a blog entry or a comment you post on McCarterBrown, you always bring a sense of knowledge and know-how to the table. As a new Sniper I can always count on having my various questions answered simply by digging through the archives of your blog and for that I thank you. Should we ever meet on the field you can count on me for a free beer and a chicken sandwich with waffle fries... Thanks bro!

    ReplyDelete

Comments Appreciated! =8^D